- XAMPP site: http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html
- XAMPP portable download for Windows: http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html#646
- XAMPP Wikipedia: XAMPP
XAMPP is a free software bundle that contains Apache HTTP web server, MySQL server, PHP interpreter, phpMyAdmin, and other software.
The current version of XAMPP is 1.8.1 as of March 1, 2013.
Where to Install
Precondition for Windows developers: You have downloaded XAMPP or XAMPP USB Lite 1.8.1 to your computer.
- Install on a hard drive
- Install on flash drive
Flash drive installation pros
You'll have an entirely portable web server in your pocket, add your favorite browser to the flash drive, and you can plug it into almost any computer and run it.
Flash drive installation cons
It's quite common that you'll unplug your USB flash drive before you stop either the web server or MySQL server. The speed of the USB protocol that your computer or flash drive supports affects the performance of your web apps 'on the stick'.
Hard Drive Installation
- 1. Download the XAMPP Installer.
- 2. Run installer and choose the location you would like to install XAMPP at (such as C:\xampp\).
- 3. When installation is completed, XAMPP will be found under under Start menu> Programs > XAMPP as well as in the location you choose to install it on your hard drive.
USB Lite Installation
- Locate the self-extracting archive XAMPP USB Lite file on your computer and double click on it.
- It opens a menu asking for your primary language. The installer defaults to English. Once you have selected your language click OK to continue.
- When prompted that a USB drive be needed, click OK. Do not worry as it can be installed to the hard drive.
- The installer shows a welcoming message. Click Next.
- Select where you want to install XAMPP. It defaults to C:\xampp which is the recommended location if you are doing a hard drive installation. If you are doing a flash drive install, browse to the flash drive and install there. It is suggested to use the root folder of the flash drive.
- After the destination folder has been selected, click Install to begin the installation process. It will take a few minutes to install. A terminal window will be opened during installation. Do not close the window as it will automatically close by itself.
- When installation is complete, click Finish, and you're done!
Testing Windows Install
How do you know it works?
- Go to the xampp directory on the hard drive, c:\xampp (or flash drive).
- At the bottom of the list of files in the xampp directory, there is an executable called xampp-control.exe'.
- Double click xampp-control.exe file to open the control panel for XAMPP.
The control panel shows two applications that can be started or stopped from the XAMPP control panel: Apache and MySQL.
Testing Apache web server application
- Start Apache by clicking the Start button associated with it in the XAMPP control panel.
- Open a browser and type
http://localhostinto the address bar.
- A XAMPP page with selection of languages is displayed. Click on English. It will display a welcome page.
- Click "Status" on the left side bar to be sure all services are running.
- Close the browser and stop the Apache server application from the XAMPP control panel.
Testing MySQL database server application
- Start MySQL by clicking the Start button associated with it in the XAMPP control panel.
- Open a command prompt (cmd in Windows), change directory to where the mysql utility is located, and connect to the MySQL server using -u root option for mysql utility.
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601] Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Users\mcs>cd c:\xampp\mysql\bin c:\xampp\mysql\bin>dir Volume in drive C is Local Disk Volume Serial Number is 7404-9C40 Directory of c:\xampp\mysql\bin 02/12/2012 01:32 PM <DIR> . 02/12/2012 01:32 PM <DIR> .. 09/09/2011 01:43 PM 146,944 echo.exe 02/12/2012 01:32 PM 5,396 my.ini 09/09/2011 01:44 PM 3,848,704 myisamchk.exe 09/09/2011 01:44 PM 3,724,800 myisamlog.exe 09/09/2011 01:44 PM 3,764,736 myisampack.exe 09/09/2011 01:44 PM 3,737,088 myisam_ftdump.exe 09/09/2011 01:44 PM 4,107,776 mysql.exe 09/09/2011 01:44 PM 4,040,192 mysqladmin.exe 09/09/2011 01:44 PM 4,133,376 mysqlbinlog.exe 09/09/2011 01:44 PM 4,035,072 mysqlcheck.exe 09/09/2011 01:42 PM 13,582,848 mysqld-debug.exe 09/09/2011 01:46 PM 8,158,720 mysqld.exe 09/09/2011 01:44 PM 4,096,512 mysqldump.exe 09/09/2011 01:40 PM 7,614 mysqldumpslow.pl 09/09/2011 01:40 PM 24,528 mysqld_multi.pl 09/09/2011 01:40 PM 33,927 mysqlhotcopy.pl 09/09/2011 01:44 PM 4,029,440 mysqlimport.exe 09/09/2011 01:44 PM 4,029,952 mysqlshow.exe 09/09/2011 01:44 PM 4,051,968 mysqlslap.exe 09/09/2011 01:44 PM 4,248,064 mysqltest.exe 09/09/2011 01:46 PM 8,958,464 mysqltest_embedded.exe 09/09/2011 01:44 PM 4,462,080 mysql_client_test.exe 09/09/2011 01:46 PM 9,212,416 mysql_client_test_embedded.exe 09/09/2011 01:40 PM 8,792 mysql_config.pl 09/09/2011 01:40 PM 4,413 mysql_convert_table_format.pl 09/09/2011 01:46 PM 8,848,384 mysql_embedded.exe 09/09/2011 01:44 PM 3,470,848 mysql_plugin.exe 09/09/2011 01:40 PM 9,432 mysql_secure_installation.pl 09/09/2011 01:43 PM 3,432,960 mysql_tzinfo_to_sql.exe 09/09/2011 01:44 PM 3,548,672 mysql_upgrade.exe 09/09/2011 01:43 PM 3,456,512 my_print_defaults.exe 09/09/2011 01:44 PM 3,548,160 perror.exe 09/09/2011 01:43 PM 3,445,760 replace.exe 09/09/2011 01:43 PM 3,454,976 resolveip.exe 34 File(s) 129,669,526 bytes 2 Dir(s) 29,450,244,096 bytes free c:\xampp\mysql\bin>mysql -u root
- If successful, you are prompted with:
Welcome to the MySQL monitor. Commands end with ; or \g. Your MySQL connection id is 4 Server version: 5.5.16 MySQL Community Server (GPL) Copyright (c) 2000, 2011, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved. Oracle is a registered trademark of Oracle Corporation and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners. Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the current input statement. mysql>
- Exit the command prompt and stop MySQL server from the XAMP control panel.
For computers running Mac OS X, the only option available is the full package (version 1.7.3).
The process is as follows:
- 1. Download the XAMPP program from the link above.
- 2. Open the DMG file in your downloads folder
- 3. Drag and drop the XAMPP file to the Applications folder on your Hard Drive.
Testing Mac Install
To test to make sure your installation of XAMPP works, follow these steps:
- 1. Open XAMPP Control.
- 2. Click start button next to MySQL and enter your computer's admin password.
- 3. Open up the Terminal app (Applications> Utilities)
- 4. Find the MySQL db file (XAMPP > xampp files > bin).
- 5. Select the file and do File > Get Info (or Apple -I).
- 6. Copy the "Where:" file path into the terminal and then enter /mysql -u root -p
- 7. If you get a welcome message (the image below). MySQL is now functional.
For Apache and PHP:
- 1. Open XAMPP Control.
- 2. Click start button next to Apache and enter your computer's admin password.
- 3. Type "http://localhost/~[your user/computer's name]" into whatever web browser you use (Note: Mac OS X will read any site saved in your sites folder [Home icon with user/computer name > Sites]. Do not use the XAMPP htdocs folder).
- 4. If you get a Mac OS X page that talks about how Mac is ready to use Apache, then your setup is successful.
In Windows, if you type http://localhost and get a screen that says IIS, you'll need to disable IIS.
- Go to Start and select Control Panel.
- Find the option to remove a program and select it. In Windows 7, it's Start->Control Panel->Programs and Features->Uninstall or change a program.
- A list of installed program is displayed.
- Find Internet Information Services and uninstall it.
- Windows might need a restart after this and it's possible you'll need to reinstall XAMPP.
Disable Skype usage of port 80 and port 443
If you have Skype installed by default, it is set up to use port 80, which is also needed by the Apache server for the HTTP requests. Apache server also uses port 443 for the HTTPS requests.
- Open the Skype window.
- Click on Tools menu and select Options.
- Click on Advanced tab.
- Go to Connection sub-tab.
- Un-tick the check box for Use port 80 and 443 as an alternatives for incoming connections option.
- Click on Save button and then restart Skype to make the change effective.
Unblocking XAMPP ports
Does your Apache turn on for a short time, and then turn off again? It could be because of a port conflict. Other programs can use ports needed by XMAPP.
Go to the XAMPP control panel and click the port check button. It should tell you which ports are blocked or used and the offending program using the port.
Find port conflicts
- Go into the xampp/installdirectory.
- Run portcheck.bat, which will output a file called portcheck.ini.
- Examine the content of portcheck.ini file. It shows you what ports XAMPP was unable to bind to.
c:\xampp\install>type portcheck.ini | more [Ports] Port80=BLOCKED Port443=BLOCKED Port3306=BLOCKED Port21=FREE Port14147=FREE Port8080=FREE
Find Windows processes that use conflicting ports
- Open up a command prompt window and type:
netstat -o -n -a | findstr 0.0:443, if you want to check the processes that are using port 443. Replace 443 with any other conflicting port number.
- You get the process ID of the application using the port. Record the process ID(s).
- Open up the Windows Task Manager utility with Ctrl+Shift+Esc short key, and view the processes by clicking on its tab.
- Go to View -> Select Columns... and select PID (process identifier) from that list.
- If you click the PID column heading, PID numbers will arrange in ascending or descending order. Find the process ID in the PID column that matches the number you recorded in a previous step.
- With the name of the conflicted process, you can either stop the application or change the port that XAMPP is trying to use.
- In my case, port 443 was being used by VMWare. Since I don't want to stop VMWare's background service, I'll simply change Apache's config to use something other than port 443 by editing X:\xampp\apache\extra\httpd-ssl.conf
Document Root Set Up
What is a web server?
A web server is a computer program that delivers content using the Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) and SSL-encrypted HTTP (HTTPS).
The term web server can also refer to a host computer, virtual machine, or device connected to a network and running a web server program.
XAMPP's web server program is Apache.
What is a "document root"?
A document root is the directory from which the Apache server serves web pages.
By default, XAMPP configuration has the c:\xampp\apache\htdocs directory set up to be the "document root". It is good practice to designate another folder as "document root", whether you do web app development or deploy a web app for production.
Refer to the Apache wiki page to learn how to create an alternative web directory and set up aliases for it.