Speech:Spring 2019 Software Group Sphinx

From Openitware
Jump to: navigation, search


Project Logs


Project Member Logs


Tasks

For this project I was tasked with searching two directories as suggested by Professor Jonas. These two directories are python "/mnt/main/Exp/0313/006/python/sphinx/" and "/mnt/main/Exp/0313/006/scripts_pl/." After having found some sort of evidence to the location of the sphinx installs I am tasked with documenting its whereabouts and how I determined that it was the correct install. If I am to fail to find anything that could point us in the direction of the current sphinx install, I am to create a file tree that details the directories that I am suspicious of and other important file paths. I should also do this if I manage to succeed and have any time left over.

Strategies Used and How I Found It

Using the 'grep' and 'more' commands, I have searched through all the scripts within the previously mentioned directories. This method proved effective as I was able to use it to eliminate one directory entirely. The specific directory I was able to eliminate was the "python/sphinx/" directory. Thanks to this revelation, I only needed to search in the "scripts_pl/" directory, which seemed abundant with references to a sphinx install path name. Now that I had found the only directory the sphinx install could be referenced in, using the "grep" and "more" commands was much more effective and much less tedious. After having eliminated unnecessary search areas, I used "grep" to find any scripts with any instances of the string "sphinx", as well as checking for any strings involving characteristics of a path name. For example I used the forward slash to try to find any immediate strings that were referencing a path name. This method did not prove as effective as I had hoped as there did not seem to be any direct references to the sphinx path name. There were multiple references to a common variable called "sphinxtrain_dir" or other variable names similar to that. Since trying to use grep to find it simply was not working, I decided it was time to switch up my tactics.

Deciding to search through these various scripts to find what this sphinxtrain_dir variable was about, I used the "more" command to expand each previously named file to take a look at where they could possibly be getting the initialization of this variable. Pushing further, I discoved that the sphinxtrain_dir variable was being called through a script that was calling a value to it from the configuration from the directory called "/mnt/main/Exp/0313/006/etc/sphinx_train.cfg". This configuration file pointed to another configuration file called "sphinx_decode.cfg", and withing that file, it pointed to a simmilarly named variable of sphinxtrain_dir which finally assigned that variable the string "/mnt/main/Exp/0313/006/etc/root/speechtools/SphinxTrain-1.0/". That is the directory that is currently being used within sphinx.

File Tree

File tree.png