Mimir:Spring 2018 Meeting Minutes

From Openitware
Jump to: navigation, search

Home


Minutes for week ending 6 Feb 2018

Meeting #1 Time: 1/31/2018 7:30PM - 8:00PM

Who was present: Patrick, Andry, Macuei, Bridget, Arjun, Oreva, Raghava, Sharmila, Illya

What was discussed: We setup slack, and discussed what we need to do as a team for the Mimir project. We decided that we're going to focus on writing one chapter, instead of focusing on writing the entire book. We're going to add dialogue to the book, such as an underlying story that narrates the contents of the book. We decided that we're going to work on Chapter 4. We all explored the various sections in the Mimir project that we need to fill out, such as the Notes section of the book that tells us what we need to work on each week.

We also discussed that we haven't been provided with enough information as far as expectations as to what we are meant to do with this project, other than a short description, so we are going to ask Professor Jonas by e-mail and during the next class to clarify what we are meant to be working on each week, and what the deliverables are, and when they are due.

We also discussed that each of us is going to report back next week as to what our strengths are, whether writing, or drawing pictures, or research, etc. and we will pick our roles at the next meeting.

Minutes for week ending 13 Feb 2018

Meeting #2 Time: 2/7/2018 2:30PM - 8:00PM

We decided on the following roles for the project:

Graphics Team

  • Patrick R. McElhiney - will work on creating a consistency of the images, all throughout the entire book. Will work with Sharmila.
  • Sharmila Chandrakanth Pankaja - will work with Patrick to create drafts of images, that Patrick will then create the final versions.

Coding Team

  • Raghava Adusumilli - will create code/sudo code examples wherever necessary. Will work with Arjun with this.
  • Arjun Padaliya - will work on code/pseudo code with Raghava.

Writing Team

  • Bridget Franciscovich - will work on consistency within the writing. Writing team leader.
  • Orevaoghene David Omu - will work on fact checking in the writing.
  • Andry Bintoro - will work on writing and editing.
  • Illya Kovarik - will work on writing and editing.

Macuei Mathiang and Shivam Patel have dropped the class.

From what Professor Jonas said, the voice of the writing hasn't been consistent throughout the book, so we will need to tackle that as a writing group. We can work on a limited number of chapters, however we would have to start with Chapter 1 if it isn't up to par, because that's the beginning of the book.

This week we will be working on Chapter 1, including setting standards and styles for our work to follow, checking facts, re-writing paragraphs, and modifying / adding coding examples and graphics / diagrams.

Minutes for week ending 20 Feb 2018

Meeting #3 2/14/2018 8:30PM - 9:00PM Members Present: Raghava Adusumilli, Andry Bintoro, Bridget Franciscovich, Illya Kovarik, Patrick McElhiney, Orevaoghene Omu, Arjun Padaliya, Sharmila Pankaja.

We clarified with Professor Jonas that we are starting working on Chapter 1, and then we are going to move on and work on other chapters.

Deliverables:

  • Patrick: Chapter 2 diagrams
  • Sam: Chapter 2 diagrams
  • Bridget: Will make sure Chapter 1 follows the template.
  • Andry: Prepare Word document, shared, for outline changes.
  • Oreva: Fact-checking, text & diagrams, and code
  • Illya: WIll work on the survey for Chapter 1
  • Rag: Coding example for chapter 1
  • Arjun: Coding example

Minutes for week ending 27 Feb 2018

Meeting #4 2/21/2018 8:30PM - 9:00PM Members Present: Raghava Adusumilli, Andry Bintoro, Bridget Franciscovich, Illya Kovarik, Patrick McElhiney, Orevaoghene Omu, Arjun Padaliya, Sharmila Pankaja.

  • We decided that we would split up the first four chapters among us in groups of two members.
    • Chapter 1 - Bridget & Oreva
    • Chapter 2 - Sam & Patrick
    • Chapter 3 - Rag & Arjun
    • Chapter 4 - Illya & Andry
  • We decided on timelines for due dates for the first four chapters:
    • Draft 1 - Due in 3 Weeks (3/14/2018)
    • Draft 2 - Due in 6 Weeks (4/4/2018)
    • Final Draft - Due in 8 Weeks (4/18/2018)
  • We decided on a format
    • Cite with APA Format
    • 3 paragraphs per section, plus coding examples
  • We decided that the Abstract and Title for our GRC Poster is due next week. We need to come up with this as a group, per Slack.

Minutes for week ending 6 Mar 2018

Meeting #5: 2/28/2018 8:30PM - 9:00PM - Members Present: Raghava Adusumilli, Andry Bintoro, Bridget Franciscovich, Illya Kovarik, Patrick McElhiney, Orevaoghene Omu, Arjun Padaliya, Sharmila Pankaja.

We decided on this chapter layout:

  • Chapter #: Title
  • A famous quote that relates to content.
  • In this chapter, you will learn:
    • State learning objectives
  • Body Sections (they all include these subsections, as needed)
    • Highlight important points with a text box
    • Utilize code for examples and further explanation and understanding
  • Summary
    • An outline of what was discussed
  • Key Words
  • Citations

We decided that we would use one programming language (Python) for the bulk of the examples in the book, however that we would change to C, JavaScript, and other languages for showing characteristics like loose typing.

Minutes for week ending 13 Mar 2018

Meeting #6 - Spring Break - Slack

  • Patrick shared initial draft of Graduate Research Conference poster on Slack.
    • Needs to be completed by other team members.
    • Sections to complete:
      • Approach/Methods
      • Conclusion
  • Extensions were given to a couple of groups for getting their first draft in for their chapter.
  • Patrick suggested that we work on different chapters that what we were assigned for the second draft of our chapter that we are assigned, because we would learn more from getting more exposure to more materials, and we would catch more errors and omissions this way.

Minutes for week ending 20 Mar 2018

Meeting #7 Time: 3/21/2018 8:00PM - 8:30PM

Who was present: Andry, Bridget, Arjun, Oreva, Raghava, Illya

Illya volunteered to take a shift at the event to man the poster. We need to finish the poster and continue to work on our chapters.

Minutes for week ending 27 Mar 2018

Meeting #8 on Slack - TBD

  • Class ran into over-time, cutting the possibility of our meeting short. Professor Jonas instructed us to meet online this week.
  • Patrick shared another revised draft of Graduate Research Conference poster on Slack. It was created by combining Sam's poster concept's graphics with the standard layout that Patrick's original poster used - because there is a format for the posters that must be met. We still haven't heard from Professor Jonas regarding the template to use for our poster, however Patrick is using the template he received last year from the URC / GRC poster presentations. Any changes may need to be made on Patrick's computer, as there are now special fonts and 3d models being used that may not transfer over correctly.

Minutes for week ending 3 Apr 2018

Meeting #9 - 4/4/2018 8:30PM - 9:00PM

  • The Mimir poster is done, being sent to Professor Jonas by April 6th, 2018 in PDF and PST formats.
  • Editing team will look over Chapter #2
    • No one opted to switch with Sam & Patrick, because they are essentially done with their chapter and have not much left to do.
  • Second Draft due by Next Wednesday.
  • Some teams may need additional diagrams.
    • Raghava wants a Memory Management / Stacks diagram
    • Chapter 3 diagram re-do (Imperative Programming)
    • Other teams will let either Sam or Patrick know by Saturday if they want additional diagrams.

Minutes for week ending 10 Apr 2018

Meeting #10 Time: 4/11/2018 8:00PM - 8:30PM Who was present: Patrick, Andry, Bridget, Arjun, Oreva, Raghava, Illya

We met with Professor Jonas and talked about where the book was going. As a group we decided to have four different groups:

  • Organization-> chapter outline
  • Tying together->voice intro and summary
  • Contents-> specifics
  • Problem Sets->

We will give it some thought and on Slack, we will decide what groups of 2 will do what.

Minutes for week ending 17 Apr 2018

Meeting #11 Time: 4/18/2018 8:30PM - 9:00PM Who was present: Patrick, Andry, Bridget, Arjun, Oreva, Raghava, Illya

We decided on who would be in the four different groups:

  • Chapter Outline - Bridget & Oreva
  • Narrative - Andry & Illya
  • Content - Patrick & Sam
  • Problem Sets - Arjun & Raghava

We have already started on Chapter 1, and will continue with Chapter 2 this week. Everyone knows what they need to do.

Minutes for week ending 24 Apr 2018

Meeting #12 Time: 4/25/2018 8:30PM - 9:00PM Who was present: Patrick, Andry, Bridget, Arjun, Oreva, Raghava, Illya, Shamilla

We decided that chapter 3 and 4 outlines will be placed for the writing team.

Chapter 3 updates will be put up by 4pm Friday.

We all will be working with our groups to finalize the book.

Minutes for week ending 1 May 2018

Meeting #13 Time: 5/2/2018 7:30PM - 8:30PM Who was present: Patrick, Andry, Bridget, Arjun, Oreva, Raghava, Illya, Shamilla

We met with Professor Jonas after class, and had a birthday party for Oreva.

We all will be working with our groups to finalize the book in the final week of class, in addition to studying for the Final Exam.

Currently we still need the Chapter 4 outline up from the writing team.

Teams need to finish their weekly lecture notes as well as their writing in their chapter, and supplementary groups for every other chapter.

Minutes for week ending 8 May 2018